Public Safety & Criminal Justice
In recent years, shootings and murders in Chicago have painted a picture of a city that is not providing for the safety of its residents. Too many in our region do not feel safe in their neighborhoods and feel that they have an adversarial relationship with law enforcement. Moreover, personal experiences and statistical trends paint a troubling picture of how law enforcement is applied unequally across racial lines.
Our vision for Public Safety & Criminal Justice is to ensure that residents and police are safe and justice is applied consistently across communities. In our Public Safety and Criminal Justice Platform, Public Safety & Criminal Justice, Civic Consulting Alliance focuses on:
- Reducing gun violence by intervening with those most at risk of being victims or perpetrators of gun violence.
- Improving coordination between government agencies, community groups, non-profits, foundations, faith-based organizations, and residents to reduce violent crime.
- Improving the fractured relationship between public safety and criminal justice officers and the communities that they serve.
- Reducing incarceration of those who are accused but not convicted of non-violent crimes.
- Improving the effectiveness of the State’s Attorney’s Office by more effectively prosecuting those accused of the most serious crimes and pursuing alternatives to incarceration through diversion programs and specialty courts for those who need support and services more than jail time.